Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Once Again, Kiss Gets Screwed

Recently the 2009 nominees for the rock and roll hall of fame were announced. Once again, there was a glaring omission to the nominee list. Kiss. Who is there? Metallica, Run-DMC, Bobby Womack, Little Anthony & the Imperials, and Jeff Beck.

I can understand Metallica. They influenced a ton of heavy metal bands, sold plenty of records, have a rich illustrious history, and they’ve released some ground breaking records.

I can almost understand Jeff Beck. I know, he’s a legendary guitarist, The Yardbirds, etc., but his songs are not that well known. I’m hard pressed to find a person who can name 2 Jeff Beck songs, me included.

Run-DMC I am happy for, as they were the forefathers of rap music. You could argue that they don’t belong in the Rock and Roll hall of fame, but that’s a post for another day.

What I don’t get is how the hall continues to ignore Kiss. What the hell? The band has been around long enough to be eligible (first record must have been released 25 years ago). They have more gold and platinum records than any other band except the Beatles. They are more well known than a lot of the bands currently in the hall and they are certainly more well known than Little Anthony & the Imperials, who, by the way, I've never heard of.

Kiss influenced a generation. Ask Metallica, they were influenced by Kiss. Guns N Roses? Kiss. Motley Crue? Kiss. Van Halen? Kiss discovered them. They changed the way live performances were done and they changed the importance of a live record with their release of Alive!. So why are they once again being ignored?

I know, the hall of fame shouldn’t mean much, but it’s an ego thing. I think the band deserves the public recognition. They HAVE the credentials, so why are they not in?

And I know that some of you faithful readers think I'm biased, and maybe I am. Kiss is my favorite band after all, but bias aside, look at the statistics.

What are your thoughts? Does Kiss deserve to be in the hall?

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

No comments: