Monday, February 9, 2009

The Grammy Awards

I must admit that I was rather impressed with this year’s Grammy Awards show. There was more good than bad, but there was still some ugly to go along with all that. Below are my thoughts on last night’s program.

THE GOOD
U2’s opening performance was exceptional. I knew they were going to play their new single, which I’m still trying to get into. However, last night’s performance helped a lot. After seeing the song live, I am starting to like it more.

Exceptional performance of the night: Justin Timberlake, Al Green, Boys II Men, and Keith Urban. Wow! That was just an amazing performance. Nothing more can be said.

Shock of the night: Adele winning best new artist. I swore that was going to the Jonas Brothers. Even Adele was shocked. She probably thought the award was going to the Jonas Brothers too.

Paul McCartney with Dave Grohl on drums was really slick. I didn’t know what was cooler: seeing Dave Grohl behind a drum kit again, or seeing him behind one while Paul McCartney performed in front of him.

Stevie Wonder with the Jonas Brothers. I hate to admit it, but it was really good. Stevie’s always good, but the Jonas Brothers did their best to keep up with him, and they succeeded.

Kanye West’s performance of American Boy with Estelle was incredible. I really enjoyed that particular performance.

Radiohead with the USC marching band? Even though I loathe USC right now (for pounding on my Nittany Lions in the Rose Bowl), the performance was really cool.

Best Moment of The Night: For me, it was Blink 182 announcing their return. Although, I would have liked it more if there was a group hug or something. Travis still looked a wee bit angry up there. Maybe he was on painkillers.

THE BAD
Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift – Could Miley BE anymore over dramatic?

Carrie Underwood – I know everybody loves her, but learn to enunciate. I couldn’t understand a word she was “singing” and her facial expressions were horrendous. So was her outfit. Not as bad as Katie Perry’s, but certainly a close second.

Robert Plant looked awful. I know he’s rock royalty and blah, blah, blah – put on a suit, will ya? You’re at the Grammys, can you dress somewhat decent? He just looked old last night.

Coldplay winning song of the year was a disappointment. I really wanted Jason Mraz to take this one. I’m Yours is one of the greatest songs to come out in a long, long while.

THE UGLY
Katie Perry – Just horrendous. The outfit was disgusting, the song is so yesterday, and she has no talent. Possibly the worst moment of the night.

What did you think of last night?

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

No comments: