Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Father's Day Edition

It’s June, a time to celebrate fathers. This Sunday is Father’s Day here in the US. My father is one of the main reasons that I have such a lust for music. He was always one to rock out, turn the music up louder, and teach me the history of any band that I inquired about. Before his untimely demise, he had amassed a record collection of amazing number. I never did get a final count, but I know it was in the thousands. Seeing his record collection at his house and seeing the pristine condition those records were in, always made me smile. I know it’s why I keep my record collection (or CD collection, if you will) the same way. It was ingrained in me from my father. Thanks, Dad.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Gene Simmons is coming to a toilet near you. The rocker/reality star who promotes anything and everything has put his image on a urinal cake. This news has sparked so much interest and fascination that both Allyson from Bring Back Glam and Christine Sixx over at Hard Rock Hideout have weighed in with their thoughts. Now, you could say will Gene stoop to nothing with his marketing ideas and what won’t he do for a buck, but I think the more important question is who sold HIM on the idea?

The Bonnaroo music festival was this past weekend. It was a rain soaked, mud filled, hell of a good time according to all the reports I’ve read. Springsteen performed a marathon show, clocking in over three hours in length. Trent Reznor announced that it was Nine Inch Nails’ last show ever in the USA. Phish conquered with a two night performance. Wilco played a lot from their yet to be released new album Wilco (the album) and had a killer set as well. All in all, it seems like the festival was amazing. Highlights can be found here:
http://www.bonnaroo.com

This is an absolutely phenomenal portrayal of the history of the Beatles. Yeah, I got chills watching it. This is the opening sequence for the Beatles edition of Rock Band. Go. Watch. Now.

1 comment:

Erik Bernard said...

hey man wanna join my blog and help me write aticles and reviews on music and bands.

Its just amateur rock journalism and there are no deadlines just when you feel like posting you can.

www.eyesoftheguru.blogspot.com