Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Labor Day Weekend Edition

Another summer season has come and gone. It’s hard to believe that it’s the end of the summer. This one flew by (as most do) and I didn’t accomplish nearly as much as I wanted to. The Rock and Roll Guru is definitely headed in the right direction, but I’m not where I want to be. That’s all right, we have all fall to straighten these things out.

Be sure to tune in next week when I post about the summer concerts and festivals. Which ones were great, which ones let us down, and what my favorites were. As always, I look forward to your comments and debates. And even though the summer concerts are over, the fall tours are right around the corner.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Behind The Music Returns Next Week
Nothing excited me more this week than reading this report. Behind the Music was one of my favorite shows back in VH1’s heyday, and to hear the show is returning is just plain blissful. Artists set to be profiled include Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, and Bret Michaels. Let’s hope VH1 plans on keeping this show around for a few more years. Tune into the season premiere on Thursday, September 10th.

Brian Jones' Death To Be Reexamined
40 years after his death, police have new evidence that may force a reopening in the case of Brian Jones’ death. This is a very interesting conundrum. On the one hand, it would be nice to have full closure on the death of this legend, as there has always been speculation that he was murdered. On the other hand, it was 40 years ago, and sometimes it’s best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Other Deaths That Should Be Reexamined
Keeping with the theme of reexamining mysterious death cases, this is an excellent article that explores other musician deaths that should get a second look.

Oasis Split Up... Again
Not really a big shock here. The Gallagher brothers haven’t gotten along since the day they started making music together. I’m sure this is not the last that we’ve heard of Oasis.

09/09/09 - The Day Of The Beatles
Wednesday will be a big day in rock and roll history. Not only is The Beatles Rock Band video game coming out, it’s also the first day of release for the remastered Beatles catalog. While I own most of The Beatles albums already, I know that I will be out picking up my favorites next week in all their remastered glory. I’ll be spending a lot of quality time with Let It Be, Magical Mystery Tour, and Revolver.

No comments: