Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - WASP Edition

Tonight, I am going to see WASP for the second time ever. They are playing the Starland Ballroom, a club that I have been too many times, and a great place to see a show.

I haven’t seen WASP live since 2006 and in that time, I think they’ve gone through 4 guitarists. Something about working with Blackie Lawless is hard for guitarists. When it comes to the fans though, Blackie delivers the goods. A Friday night full of metal is going to be a great time.

My friends and I are looking forward to hearing the hits: Blind In Texas, Wild Child, L.O.V.E. Machine, and more. I am hopeful to hear Forever Free (their major ballad from the late 80s) and The Headless Children, but we shall see. I haven’t peaked at any setlists for this tour, because I don’t want to be spoiled. I want every song to be a surprise. If inspiration strikes, I may get a review up by tomorrow morning.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Download Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard’s Playlist
Over at ITunes, Stone and Jeff (from Pearl Jam) have put together a podcast of their favorite influential songs and you can download it for free. Pretty interesting stuff, ranging from Sex Pistols to George Michael. They would probably love reading The Rock and Roll Guru. Perhaps I should send them an email with a link.

More Pearl Jam News
Staying in the Pearl Jam camp, the band has announced 10 spring shows with 2 at Madison Square Garden at the end of the run. Time for cousin Ryo to hit up his piggy bank!

Meatloaf Releasing A New Album On Roadrunner Records
Meatloaf has a new album coming out? Who knew? I just got Bat out of Hell III this year. I’m definitely gonna have to check this out.

Iron Maiden Tickets on Sale This Weekend
The tickets for the Canadian summer shows are on sale Saturday, March 13th. The US tickets go on sale next Saturday, March 20th. Prices appear to range between$25 - $125 with most venues offering paperless ticketing for the real good seats. With those prices and my current commitment to destroying my debt, it looks like I will be enjoying Maiden from the lawn. That’s all right, they are still just as good.

Rest In Peace, Corey Haim
On a sad note, the world lost one of its cultural icons this week. After cheesy power ballads, the 80s can be best known for movies starring Corey Haim and Corey Feldman. I, of course, have seen every one of them at least a half dozen time. I’ve even seen Dream A Little Dream 2 and I own the script to the Lost Boys 2 (that was never filmed). Corey and Corey were amazing on screen with wonderful chemistry that is hard to find in two actors. Their movies also produced some of the greatest soundtracks and hit singles ever. Dream A Little Dream gave us Rock On by Michael Damian, Lost Boys gave us Good Times by INXS and Jimmy Barnes, and License to Drive gave us Get Out Of My Dreams by Billy Ocean. Pure 80s hits. Rest in peace, Corey. You will be missed.

For more metal and rock mayhem, you should follow me on Twitter!
www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: