Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Financial Awareness Special Edition

Did you know that April is Financial Literacy month? Other than music blogs and sports blogs, there is one group of blogs (and podcasts) that your cousin Ryo loves…Finance blogs. I went through a long period in my life being racked in debt with no clue how I was going to pay it off. At the time, I didn’t even care. I was a minimum payment guy and as long as the credit card companies kept raising my limits, I kept spending. Until it was too late and I was so deep in debt that I thought I would never pay it all off. The idea of working until I was 70 with nothing to show for it but more debt scared the hell out of me.

I read one book that started me on the path of better financial health. Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin launched my love affair with better finances. From there, I went on to find many blogs, read more books, and reel my finances in order. I am about two years away from being debt free (except for my mortgage) and I can’t tell you how great that makes me feel. That may mean that I miss a few concerts, or I don’t get to sit in the good seats like I once did, but, it will also afford me opportunities to pursue my real passions full time. Once I am debt free and have amassed some wealth, I’ll be able to write a bio on one of my favorite bands, or develop multiple blogs that I’ve been thinking about. I can start the podcasts and everything else that I see for The Rock and Roll Guru.

My journey to a debt free life has not been an easy one, but it’s been a great one. And without the help of certain websites and daily readings, I may have given up a long time ago. So for this special edition of Friday’s Rockin’ Roundup, here are the personal finance blogs that rock!

Get Rich Slowly
www.getrichslowly.org

Led by J.D. Roth and staff of great writers, Get Rich Slowly is a fabulous finance blog that covers everything from “The Millionaire Next Door” to decreasing the amount of “stuff” you own, Get Rich Slowly is a daily visit for me. There’s always practical and useful advice on the site and the posts are so well written that they are enjoyable even on the days the topics don’t apply to me. Get Rich Slowly is helping people do just that, acquire their wealth slowly over time. It’s a reminder that finances are a daily struggle.

The Simple Dollar
www.thesimpledollar.com

Similar in style to Get Rich Slowly, Trent Hamm writes a great blog known as The Simple Dollar. Focusing heavily on frugality and savings, The Simple Dollar is a good reminder of the basics. Saving money and having more time in life to pursue the passions you enjoy are the main principals of The Simple Dollar. These are wonderful principals to have. With two blog posts a day, Trent Hamm has an inspiring site that is worthy of a daily visit

I Will Teach You to Be Rich
www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com

The complete opposite of The Simple Dollar and Get Rich Slowly, I Will Teach You to Be Rich sets out to do just what the title says. Author Ramit Sethi writes an informative and hysterical blog that has the philosophy of making more money is the only way to win the war against finances. If you are too afraid to ask for a raise and get paid what you are worth, then you deserve to be clipping coupons. With crackling sarcasm and quick wit, I Will Teach You to Be Rich is a fun read that informs while it entertains.

Dave Ramsey
www.daveramsey.com

A wonderful personal finance guru, Dave Ramsey teaches the simple styling’s of “snowballing” your way out of debt. He also constantly challenges his readers (and listeners) to whether they are truly living as tightly as they can to get out of debt as quickly as they can. I listen to the Dave Ramsey podcast regularly and he keeps me in check. Am I truly saving as much as I can? Where am I still squandering my earnings? Dave Ramsey is filled with practical advice that makes sense. His blog, podcasts, and books are definitely worth checking out.

Happy Friday Everyone! For more financial wisdom, music happenings, and the wily wit of Cousin Ryo, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: