Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Mini-Vacation Edition

Since my mother’s milestone birthday was this month and my birthday was also this month, we decided it would be a good idea for me to head down south and visit her for a few days. So, the Guru is on a mini-vacation/long weekend. It couldn’t have come at a better time. My regular (9-5) job has me burnt out and the pace of the work isn’t slowing down. Every time that I tell myself things are going become calmer after this next big project, another huge project jumps in its place. It’s very draining, so a vacation is just what I need to clear my head, body, and spirit.

Visiting with Mom is always fun too. She likes to spoil me when I come to see her and we always have so much fun together. And while I’m down there, I’m hoping to see a Rays game and scratch another list off of my baseball stadium tour. Having already done Texas this year, Tampa Bay would make it two in one year. That would be nice.

My apologies for those who look forward to the weekly concert reviews and CD reviews. With work at the pace it has been and with this mini-vacation taking me away for a few days, there’s going to be no concert review or CD review this weekend. They will return in all their glory next week at their regularly scheduled time. Have a great Friday everyone!

And while I was packing a bag and thinking about the surf, sand, and sun, here’s what rocked this week:

Live Daily No More
Perhaps it’s a fallout of the Ticketmaster/Live Nation merger, perhaps there are other reasons, but it was very sad to learn that Live Daily is no longer publishing on the web. I was a huge fan of this website, and it was a major source of news and concert information for me. As a weekly blogger, this is a tough loss of an incredible source. There aren’t many sites out there that do what Live Daily did and they are going to be missed.

The Lollapalooza Lineup Unveiled
Just released, Lollapalooza 2010. Of course, Soundgarden is the last band of the weekend. I can’t wait to see what they perform, how they sound, crowd reaction, etc. Some of the choices on who to see is going to be hard though. Lady Gaga is up against the Strokes on opening night. Social D and Spoon overlap on day two. Green Day on night two is a no-brainer. And then MGMT at the same time as Wolfmother. What would you do? Over on the Lollapalooza site, you can create your own custom schedule. I wonder if it comes with a map to get you from stage to stage?

Nina Simone Back To Life
The Nina Simone movie is scheduled for a 2012 release (tentative – of course). Mary J. Blige is still scheduled to play the role of Nina. Nina was a pioneer and a legend in jazz music. Her music still speaks to fans many years after its release. I’d love to know what’s going to be on this soundtrack. And if Mary J. Blige covers a few of Nina’s classics, I’ll bet it will sound amazing.

Good Primer On Classical Music
I’ve been listening to a little more classical music lately. I’m not sure why, but it prompted me to do some research. If you ever wanted to get into classical music, but didn’t even know where to begin, this is an excellent introduction written by the folks at Naxos. It even covers concert etiquette if you are attending a live orchestra show. That’s valuable information!

For more daily treats, tweets, beats, and feats, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: