Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - M3 Music Festival Edition

Your Cousin Ryo is on a road trip. Currently, I am in Maryland for the M3 festival which kicks off tonight at the Post Merriweather Pavilion. There is a lot that I am looking forward to at this year’s festival. Between the bands, the beer, the food, and the fans, it’s going to be a great time.

Several of the hair metal bands that I love are scheduled to perform. Kix, Slaughter, Warrant, LA Guns, Hurtsmile, Mr. Big, Tesla, and Whitesnake are all on the bill. Rob Rockitt from Hard Rock Hideout (http://www.hardrockhideout.com/) will be attending with me and we are going to have a hard rocking blast!

Of course, you’ll be sure to read all about it in the coming weeks as I will try to do profile pieces on most of the bands that I see live, including reviews of their M3 performance. To me, this is the official start of the summer! That has me very excited.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Soundgarden Announces 2011 Tour Dates
Soundgarden is going to tour this summer. That is sweet music to my grunge-loving ears! I have never been able to witness this band live and this is a perfect opportunity to do so. Touring behind a greatest hits package and a live album pretty much guarantees that the band will be playing nothing but the hits. That would be an incredible first time experience. Soundgarden comes to New Jersey on July 8th. When do they come to your town?

Is This The End Of Record Companies?
Over at Blog Critic, I ran across a very interesting article that takes a look at the remaining four “big label” record companies. Author Michael Melchoir examines if this is the beginning of the end for all the major labels. How would music be distributed if there were no major labels? I wonder if it would be all online, or if other record companies would swoop in to fill the void.

Warrant’s New Album, Rockaholic, hits stores on Tuesday (May 17th)
Over at Hard Rock Haven, a cool interview was conducted with Warrant guitarist Erik Turner. He discusses the upcoming album, life on the road, and what it’s like to work with lead singer Robert Mason. From what I have heard of the new Warrant album thus far, it’s going to be one kick ass record. You may want to get to the store on May 17th!

For more news, reviews, music that rocks, witty sarcasm, tour updates, and other nonsensical meanderings, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: