Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pretty Boy Floyd - May 14, 2011 (M3 Day Two)


I’ll admit it. Prior to my journey to this year’s MS music festival, I only knew the basics of Pretty Boy Floyd. I was familiar with their big hits and best known songs, but had little additional knowledge of the band or their music. Pretty Boy Floyd was a great group that somehow escaped most of my attention. When I heard they were playing at M3 though, I knew that I wanted to see their performance. On a misty, chilly, Saturday afternoon, I felt the excitement racing through me as I made my way to the second stage.

Staying to witness all of Danger Danger’s set on the main stage forced me to miss half of Pretty Boy Floyd’s opening song, “Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz.” The half that I did hear though sucked me in. The raw energy and incredible skill of this song being played live was intense. It was immediately apparent that there was something special transpiring. By the end of “Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz,” I had positioned myself center stage as the crowd grew. Pretty Boy Floyd was the opening act on the second stage and while the timeslot was not a highly coveted one, this did not prevent the band from giving it their all.

Every member of the band looked great! From new drummer Ben Graves to lead singer Steve Summers, you would have sworn these guys were all in their 20s. Whatever workout program they participate in, I need to sign up for it. Perhaps it’s all the groupie love that keeps them looking so fit.

Since they were on an extremely tight timeline, Pretty Boy Floyd played a condensed set of hits. “I Wanna Be With You,” “Your Momma Don’t Know,” and “48 Hours” were all included in their hard rocking set. A total of eight songs were performed in all, but each one was breathtakingly brilliant. Pretty Boy Floyd stole the early part of the show and was definitely one of the best bands at the 2011 M3 Festival.

Between the over the top and outrageous feather boa jacket donned by Summers, and the outlandish and radical makeup, Pretty Boy Floyd put on a talented performance. In between songs the band handed out copies of both their debut CD and their all Kiss tribute CD. I was not even aware that the band had done the latter.

Musically, Pretty Boy Floyd was on fire. Their sound was impeccable, their performance as hard rocking as it gets, and their on stage antics were fun for everyone. What surprised me most was how great the band sounded. They were the first band to use the second stage and yet their sound was better than some of the bands that graced the main stage.

Should there be another M3 next year (and I don’t see any reason why there wouldn’t be), Pretty Boy Floyd needs to be invited back to rock the main stage. In the meantime, I am hopeful that the band will decide to do a summer tour. I would live to see these guys in action again.

Setlist
Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz
Toast Of The Town
Rock And Roll Outlaws
Saturday Night
I Wanna Be With You
48 Hours
Your Momma Won’t Know
Rock And Roll (Is Gonna Set The Night On Fire)

No comments: