Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Taking Some Time Off Edition

Starting tomorrow, Cousin Ryo is taking some time off. My nephew is visiting for the weekend and there are several projects that I need to complete, both around the house and for the blog. I thought this would be a great time for a blog-vacation. The Rock And Roll Guru will return to its regularly scheduled programming on Monday, July 18th.

To those readers who look forward to the weekend reviews of concerts and new music, I apologize. There will be none this weekend. They will be back when I return to The Guru. While I’m away, be sure to check out the best of the guru to catch up on some great pieces you may have missed. For those of you that love reviews, be sure to browse the concert page or the music you need to hear section. They contain all the reviews you can handle and then some. I’ll see everyone on July 18th.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Rock And Roll = Endangered Species?
The Cutout Bin asks this question with a solid article discussing how the format of rock has changed over the years. Around the nation, less and less radio stations are playing rock only. Fortunately for me, I subscribe to satellite radio and therefore get all the rock formats that I can handle. Currently, I am enjoying Octane, which plays nothing but modern rock. Judging from the bands and songs I’ve heard on that channel, the future of rock and roll is very safe indeed.

The 10 Most Uncelebrated Kiss Songs
Over at Hard Rock Hideout, I wrote a piece capturing the forgotten Kiss songs that need more credit. Kiss is a band whose catalog is vast and it’s hard for the band to give every song its due. I singled out the 10 songs that I feel deserve more attention than they get.

Dave Matthews Band Caravan Round Two
The second of four DMB Caravan shows kicks off today in Chicago. The full schedule has been released and once again the lineup looks incredible. With bands like OAR, The Flaming Lips, Yonder Mountain String Band, and David Gray, I must admit that I am a little upset I will not be in Chicago this weekend. I can’t wait to see what songs DMB plays for their three nights this time around. It’s going to be hard to beat the Atlantic City setlists, but I am sure the band is up for the task.

Every Album Challenge Update
Albums Listened To: 160
Albums Remaining: 1,893

For more news, reviews, rants, raves, odd upates, and general music trivia, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: