Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Lots Of Reviews Edition

Every so often here at the Rock And Roll Guru, things get backed up. Such is the current case with my reviews. Lately, I have been blessed with a lot of new music to review. Between new discs from OAR, Theory Of A Deadman, Incubus, Black Stone Cherry, and some great discs from lesser known artists that I have received, there are a lot of reviews to be done.

When you add in the fact that I am working hard to finish the remaining concert reviews left to complete from concerts past, it all equals a lot of review writing that needs to be finished. I am looking to spend the next 2-3 weeks focusing on reviews. I want to get the word out about the new albums from the bands we love. I want to get the word out about some great new music I’ve been exposed to from bands not many of us know but should. And, of course, I want to finish my concert reviews.

Hopefully this will mean double postings on the weekend – a concert review and a CD review. However, in order for that to happen, I would really have to hunker down and get some writing done, which is not the easiest thing to do when one has a full time job and a full time family. All I can say is that I will do my best.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Should An Anti-Semite Composer Be Played In Israel?
A very interesting article passed my desk this week. The article made me think so much that I had to share it. On one hand, you have a beautiful composer, whose work is considered genius, being banned in a country. On the other hand, you have a man who had nothing but pure hatred for Jewish people and the Jewish culture. The question that David Goldman asks in this wonderfully thought provoking piece, is should this music be banned? This is an excellent article that I recommend everyone take the time to read.

The Sad Passing Of Jani Lane
As I am sure that all of you know by now, Jani Lane has passed away at the age of 47. As a person who idolized him during my teenage years, his passing is really upsetting. I am going to miss the man and his music. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of his friends, family, and fans during this difficult time.

A New Boston Album In The Works
Can you really have a Boston album without Brad Delp? Over at Real Rock News, they have the latest information on the Boston album that is near completion. Granted, the word is that some of Delp’s vocals will be featured on the album, but with Delp’s passing in 2007, to me, that was the end of Boston. I am skeptical about this new record, to say the least.

MANOWAR Is Coming
Manowar has announced that their only US show will take place at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, New Jersey. Cousin Ryo plans to be there. Tickets are on sale now.

For more rants, raves, news, reviews, concert updates, and weird what-nots, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: