Monday, October 23, 2017

What's The Guru Listening To? - October Edition




Welcome to the October Edition of What’s the Guru Listening To? I get asked this question a lot. What am I currently enjoying and what would I recommend? And since time is severely limited these days, it gets harder and harder to post a full review of the outstanding music that I am discovering (or re-discovering). Therefore, every month I will fill you in on the latest song, album, and/or band that I am obsessed with.

Here's what The Guru is listening to this month:


Pearl Jam – Let’s Play Two
Pearl Jam has released the soundtrack to their new film, Let’s Play Two. The film is a documentary that captures moments from Pearl Jam’s 2016 concerts at Wrigley Field on August 20th and 22nd. It also explores the Chicago Cubs historic run to winning the 2016 World Series. While the documentary film won’t be available on home video until November 17th, the soundtrack is out now and I have been consuming it this October. The album opens with an amazing “Low Light” and features some of the best moments of the two-night stand. Eddie Vedder’s tribute to the Cubs, “All The Way” is captured as well as the band’s stupendous cover of “I’ve Got A Feeling.” Other highlights include “Black,” “Inside Job,” and one of the best versions of “Crazy Mary” that I’ve ever listened to. It is just grand!


L.A. Guns – The Missing Peace
The great 80s hair metal band L.A. Guns are back with a brand-new album, The Missing Peace. What makes this album significant is that it is the first studio album in 15 years to feature guitarist Traci Guns and singer Phil Lewis. Patience is a virtue and it paid off in a big way with the release of this record. The Missing Peace is an incredible album that hits the hair metal sweet spot just right. The hard rocking “The Devil Made Me Do It” compares to any song that L.A. Guns have ever released, and may be the best song the band ever recorded. The ballad “Christine” is a joy to listen to and reminiscent of magnificent ballads from days gone by. All told, The Missing Peace is a spectacular work of art and I am hoping that L.A. Guns will be at M3 next year to perform songs from this release.

Cold War Kids – Bitter Poem
This exceptional song came out in 2013 and over this past month I must have listened to it 100 times or more. “Bitter Poem” is a hauntingly beautiful song filled with real, raw emotion. The music is intense and the lyrics are masterful. “Bitter Poem” is deep and poignant and brilliant. I’m still not sure what the song is exactly about even after all this time and all these listens, but I think that makes the song stronger. It certainly makes me carefully listen and examine the lyrics.  

Grouplove
This sensational band is going to be the opening act at the Imagine Dragons concert I am going to see in Newark, New Jersey, so I’ve been brushing up on their songs and their albums. I’ve been a fan of the band since I first heard their debut record, Never Trust a Happy Song. Their music is decidedly different from most of what I listen to which is just one of the reasons that I enjoy them so much. And since I’ve never seen Grouplove or Imagine Dragons in concert, this is a night of live music that I am really looking forward to. I’m hopeful to hear “Lovely Cup,” “Colours,” and “Ways To Go.” I’m certain that they will play one of those songs, but with a little luck maybe I will get to hear all three of them live. That would get the night off to a grand start!  

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

No comments: