Sunday, November 26, 2017

What's The Guru Listening To? --- November Edition




Welcome to the November Edition of What’s the Guru Listening To? I get asked this question a lot. What am I currently enjoying and what would I recommend? And since time is severely limited these days, it gets harder and harder to post a full review of the outstanding music that I am discovering (or re-discovering). Therefore, every month I will fill you in on the latest song, album, and/or band that I am obsessed with.

Here's what The Guru is listening to this month:

Brian Fallon – Forget Me Not
Brian Fallon, former lead singer for the band that is on indefinite hiatus, The Gaslight Anthem, is gearing up to release his second solo record Sleepwalkers. That record will be released in February of next year, but Fallon has gifted us with the first single, “Forget Me Not.” It is an amazing, hand clapping, foot stomping, bar rocking song that I can’t get enough of. The song is magnificent and I recommend that anyone reading this give the song a listen right now. You will not be disappointed and you may have just discovered your new favorite song. I cannot wait for the entire album to come out this February.

Pop Evil – Waking Lions
Like Brian Fallon, Pop Evil will also be releasing a brand-new record in February. Their fifth release is going to be a self-titled record and the lead single, “Waking Lions” is available now. I’m sure that I say this every time Pop Evil puts out something new, but “Waking Lions” could be their best song yet. It’s a heavy, hard rocking anthem that I absolutely love. Pop Evil has never let me down and each time I learn that they are coming out with new music I get extremely excited. Waking Lions is another masterpiece that is bound to climb to the top of the hard rock charts and be another gem for Pop Evil. 

Count On Me – Default
I was listening to Tune In Radio one evening (I don’t remember which station, but I know it was one from Canada) when this song came on. I had pretty much forgotten about Default after their debut album, so it was nice to realize that they released a few more records after that. “Count On Me” is a spectacular song that left me wondering why I hadn’t paid more attention to this band since their initial CD. I’m sure that will change now. I’ve listened to “Count On Me” quite a bit this month and I anticipate that I will be listening to all of Defaults’ releases over the next few weeks. They are a great band that I let slip away, but now I am ready to embrace them once again.

Iron Maiden – Book Of Souls: Live Chapter
Iron Maiden was kind enough to bless us with an early holiday treat this month, The Book Of Souls: Live Chapter. As has been the case with most of their previous albums since the return of Bruce Dickinson, Maiden released a live album from the tour of the previous studio album. In this case, it was the Book Of Souls Tour. The songs captured on the live album are taken from several stops on their world tour including Europe, North America, and South America. Sadly, there are no cuts from the USA stops, but that’s all right. It’s still live Maiden which means it’s good enough to add to the collection. This round of live material includes six songs from The Book Of Souls, an exceptional live version of “Children Of The Damned,” and an incredible “Fear Of The Dark,” which was recorded in Brazil. Those of you that prefer to see your Iron Maiden instead of hearing your Iron Maiden need not fear: there is also a Blu Ray release available. And either would make an awesome holiday gift for the metal lover in your life.

Classic Holiday Music
I will be the first to admit that it is a little early to break out the Christmas music, but I couldn’t seem to help myself! I love this time of the season when the year is coming to a close, the holidays are upon us, the Thanksgiving Feast is ready to be served and the joy of the Christmas season is all around. Normally I wait until the Monday after Thanksgiving to play the Christmas tunes, but I got bit early this year by the holiday song bug. And the classic holiday tracks also seem to relax me and fill me with joy. This month I’ve listened to Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” and “Good King Wenceslas,” “Must Be Santa” by Mitch Miller, “Home For The Holidays” by Perry Como, and “Most Wonderful Time Of The Year” and “Silver Bells” by Andy Williams. I know that next month I will listen to Holiday songs almost exclusively, but they sound pretty grand in November too! 

Comments are open. Feel free to post some. 

No comments: