Saturday, December 23, 2017

What's The Guru Listening To --- December Edition



Welcome to the December Edition of What’s the Guru Listening To? I get asked this question a lot. What am I currently enjoying and what would I recommend? And since time is severely limited these days, it gets harder and harder to post a full review of the outstanding music that I am discovering (or re-discovering). Therefore, every month I will fill you in on the latest song, album, and/or band that I am obsessed with.

Here's what The Guru is listening to this month:

Brian Fallon – If Your Prayers Don’t Get To Heaven  
Brian Fallon, former lead singer for the band that is on indefinite hiatus, The Gaslight Anthem, is gearing up to release his second solo record Sleepwalkers. That record will be released in February of next year, but Fallon has gifted us with the second single, “If Your Prayers Don’t Get To Heaven.” The first single, “Forget Me Not” was magnificent and the latest release is just as grand. “If Your Prayers Don’t Get To Heaven” is another foot stomping, hand clapping, 50’s rock inspired masterpiece. The music is tremendous and Fallon’s strongest talent, lyric writing, shines brightly once again. If all the songs on Sleepwalkers are going to be this good then give me the album now and don’t make me wait until February!

Diamonds – Elton John
Sir Elton John released a massive 3-disc collection (available as a single disc or double disc too) last month and I’ve given it several listens since then. With classics like “Your Song,” “Tiny Dancer,” “Someone Saved My Life Tonight,” “Sad Songs (Say So Much),” and “Mama Can’t Buy You Love” how could I not listen to this several times over? I’ve always enjoyed Elton John’s music and even though I have almost all his hits compilations, this one had to be added to the collection. If you only own or listen to one Elton John collection, this is the one it should be. Diamonds is just a massive gathering of his ultimate hits.

Lord Huron
I don’t know why it took me so long to find this band, but better late than never I suppose. Lord Huron is an amazing indie folk band that reminds me of an amalgam of The Strumbellas, The Head and The Heart, and The Revivalists. “She Lit A Fire” is my current favorite track, but as time goes on I know that I am going to find several more Lord Huron songs that are going to become favorites. I will most likely add this band to my 2018 to see in concert list as well. Lord Huron is just terrific music that moves me, finding me swaying in my seat and smiling. And the good news is that Mrs. Vie really likes the band too. Which will give us the opportunity to enjoy them in concert together.

From Good Homes
Obviously since I was seeing them live in December I was listening to From Good Homes. They are a local Northwest New Jersey grassroots jam band that was huge for a short period of time in the mid-90s and then abruptly split up. Eight years ago, they got back together for reunion shows in our area and have been performing every December since. In preparation for this concert I was listening to some deeper cuts like “Way To Go Pam,” “There She Goes,” “Go Wild,” and “Gettin’ Dirty.” If you aren’t familiar with From Good Homes I recommend that you check them out as a New Year resolution. Who knows? You may find yourself taking a trip to Northwest New Jersey next December to see them in concert.  

Traditional Holiday Music
Every December I break out the holiday tunes and get into the joyful spirit! And every December I seem to gravitate toward one particular genre of holiday music. Some years it’s indie holiday songs, some years it’s rock and roll Christmas music, some years it’s classical. This year I found myself listening to the traditional classics more and more. Songs like “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby, “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole, “Frosty The Snowman,” by Gene Autry and “We Need A Little Christmas” by Percy Faith.  I’ve always enjoyed the traditional music from the 40s and 50s and find that the holiday songs from that era are wonderful. I know that come December 26th I will trade in the holiday tunes for the new rock albums I am (hopefully) getting from Santa Claus, but I will continue to enjoy the traditional Christmas music up until then!

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

No comments: