Monday, April 9, 2018

Concert Review: Neil Diamond - August 18, 2005



On a hot August night in New York City, I watched Neil Diamond perform live for the second (and last) time in my concert viewing history. The first time I saw him perform  I went from being a casual fan to a huge fan. Thus, expectations were high the second time around. I already knew what Neil Diamond could do in concert and I was anxious to witness a repeat performance from this stage master.

This time around, the venue was a little closer to home. I was taking my new bride to Madison Square Garden for her first Neil Diamond experience. She was a little skeptical, wondering how an easy listening performer like Neil Diamond could put on a rocking concert for the ages. But I assured her that you had to witness Neil Diamond to believe it. I was giddy for the opportunity to see him live again.

After a nice dinner at a quaint little restaurant inside of Penn Station (that is unfortunately long gone) we walked our way into Madison Square Garden and found our seats. I’ve said this before and I know that I will say this again, Madison Square Garden is the mecca for concert performances. Some of the best shows I’ve ever seen have happened at the Garden. From KISS, to Billy Joel, to Pearl Jam, to The Police, to Neil Diamond, some of my greatest nights have taken place inside those hallowed halls.

Our seats for that evening weren’t the best ones, but they weren’t horrible either. I honestly didn’t think it mattered where we sat, Neil was going to give a grand performance that would suck us in regardless. That night we were in section 404, high up near the ceiling, but close to the stage. As I said though, it didn’t matter. As long as I was in the building, I was going to get rocked.

Neil Diamond did not disappoint. He opened with some exceptional hits (“Crunchy Granola Suite,” “Desiree,” “Beautiful Noise,” and “Cherry Cherry in the first five songs) and the crowd responded with gratuitous roars. The way he crafts a setlist is pure poetry. Mixing beloved classics with a sprinkling of lesser known new songs, Neil knows how to pace a show that will keep fans involved. The loud sing-alongs like “America,” “Forever in Blue Jeans,” and “Sweet Caroline” were appropriately spaced so that the audience could catch their breath in between belting out the hits with the maker himself.

Halfway through the set I was sweaty and tired, and Neil, 30-something years my senior, was just getting started. He is a true showman and newer bands could take lessons from this man on how to put on an unforgettable concert experience. He never stopped and I don’t think he even slowed down. With a catalog as vast as his, it was going to be hard to please all the fans, but Neil did his absolute best, being sure to play the hits that everyone loves. Slow songs, fast songs, and every hit in between came out on stage that night. And each one sounded like they were being sung by a performer in his twenties, even though Neil Diamond was in his mid-sixties at the time.

And while my wife was impressed, I don’t think she enjoyed the concert as much as I did. She never did want to go see him again. Which means she did not take to the show like I had. Personally, I thought it was almost as grand as the first time that I saw him in concert, which is a huge compliment, because the first time I saw Neil Diamond in concert will probably go down as one of the ten best concerts I’ve ever seen.

My only complaint would be the last song of the night. After an encore of “Cracklin’ Rosie” and “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show,” Neil decided to end the night with “I’ve Been This Way Before.” I know it was a number one hit, and I know that a lot of diehard fans probably thought that was an exceptional closer, but to me it was not the way to end the evening. If he had put that in as the first song of the encore and closed the night with Brother Love, it would have had a much more robust impact to me. There was still nothing to truly complain about at the end of the evening. Neil gave his all and I got my money’s worth from his concert performance.

Unfortunately, I would never get to see Neil Diamond in concert again, and probably never will. Earlier this year, he announced that he is retiring from touring after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. It was sad to hear and the concert world took a big hit when that news was released. Anyone who never had the glory of seeing Neil Diamond in concert really missed out. He was a true entertainer and performed two of the best concerts that I have ever seen. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn’t see him in concert more often. At least I have the memories of two wonderful nights to reminisce on. And I’ll always have his recorded music to remind of what a great entertainer Neil Diamond was.

Setlist
Crunchy Granola Suite
Desiree
Remember Me
Beautiful Noise
Cherry, Cherry
You Got To Me
Play Me
Love on the Rocks
America
Forever in Blue Jeans
You Don’t Bring Me Flowers
September Morn
Signs
Be
Lonely Looking Sky
Skybird
Holly Holy
Sweet Caroline
I’m A Believer
Glory Road
And the Grass Won’t Pay No Mind
Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)
Shilo
Red Red Wine
Soolaimon
I Am…I Said
Encore
Cracklin’ Rosie
Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show
I’ve Been This Way Before

No comments: