Monday, July 30, 2018

Concert Memory: Dave Matthews Band - June 23, 2018



There is nothing more rewarding than watching your child have the same reaction to their first experience of a particular band live that you did many years earlier. I was blessed and thankful to be able to share that interaction with my daughter, which happened on a gorgeous Saturday night in Hartford, Connecticut. The band was Dave Matthews Band and we made a three-hour journey to see them in concert. It was her first time and my 20th. So, while I knew what to expect and the grand time we were going to have, she had no clue the joyous occasion that would unfold before her.   

Standing in the pit watching the instruments be tuned and set left me with a lot of exciting anticipation. Was my daughter going to love this band as much as I did? Was she going to be enthralled to the point where they became one of her favorite bands as they had for me years earlier? Would she leave with the same feelings of euphoria that I had?   

Sure, I had concerns going into the show. Boyd Tinsley was out and DMB had decided to tour with no violin for the first time since I’ve been seeing them live (maybe for the first time ever). I didn’t know if the essence was going to be the same as I had grown accustomed to. We had pit tickets, so that was certainly going to help improve the vantage point, but I love Boyd Tinsley and knowing that he wasn’t going to be on stage hurt a little. 



My big issue with the new incarnation of Dave Matthews Band (version 3.0 if you will) was that the setlists did not vary much for this trek across the US. The same songs were being played multiple times, which is unlike a normal DMB tour. Part of that could be because new addition organist Buddy Strong was still getting up to speed on the entire DMB catalog, but part of that could be for a different reason (although a reason that I can’t quite figure out). They stayed with the same group of songs for most of the tour. Although, we did get three tour debuts (“Stay or Leave,” “Captain,” and “Black and Blue Bird”) but everything was standard, especially the encore.

There’s a certain amount of magic in the air anytime the Dave Matthews Band takes the stage. Even in the absence of Boyd Tinsley on the violin, I knew this was going to be another special night. The weather was in our favor, the crowd was large but peaceful and loving, and of course the music was going to be magnificent. Standing that close to the stage also added to the experience. I had not been in the pit for a DMB show since my trip to The Gorge. That experience had not been the best, so there were concerns going into this show, but when the opportunity to get pit tickets came up for my daughter’s first experience, I had to grab them. Standing there as the pit filled and the clock ticked closer to showtime, I was a little nervous. Thankfully, we had a grand pit experience this time around. Maybe it’s because we stood by the horns---who can say for sure? All I know is that this was a much more relaxed experience than my last one. And for that I am eternally gratefully.

I was able to guess the opening song, but I don’t take great pride in that, as the setlists were predictable. That is something I’ve never been able to say about a DMB tour before, but it’s true for 2018. There were only three songs they opened with for most of that leg and one of them was the opener the night before, so I had a pretty good feeling that “That Girl Is You” was going to kick off our night. Fortunately, it is a favorite from the new release for both my daughter and myself.

All these items did not make it a bad show. I don’t believe that I’ve ever witnessed a bad DMB show and judging by my daughter’s gleeful outbursts it was the best concert ever performed in the history of music. Yet, perhaps since I’ve been to 20 of these shows now, I’ve grown jaded and hopeful. There are always songs I am chasing (“The Last Stop” in particular) and songs that I want to hear that I’ve only heard once (“Lover Lay Down”), but the band has so many songs they could pull out and they are touring behind a new record. I understand that the new songs are going to take precedence. And they have to balance deep cuts with fan favorites. I get all of that. And look, when it comes to a DMB show, their setlist is a million times more varied than a KISS show. But I think I’ve raised my expectations because the band raised the bar the first time I saw them in concert. I’m like a junkie. I want every concert to be as tremendous as that first one was. I’m chasing the high.

Prior to the show, I even had a list of songs in my head that I wanted to hear. I know it was a stretch for several reasons, but I want to hear the songs I don’t hear live too often. Which may be part of my problem. I need to enjoy the show for the show and if the rare songs are played, consider that a blessing. I was hoping to hear any of the following: “#27,” “Say Goodbye,” “Break Free,” “Come On, Come On,” or “Minarets.” I thought I had the best chance with “Come On, Come On” because it was a new song. The others I knew were a longshot at best. Sadly, none of those songs were performed, but I should have expected that anyway.

Out of the songs that did get played, there were some real highlights for me. I was overjoyed to hear “Crush” and “Jimi Thing” (two of my favorite songs by this band.) I was also glad to get “Stand Up” and “Louisiana Bayou” which is an unpopular statement with most purists. However, these two songs hold a special place in my heart as they were the songs that locked me into being a fan for life the first time I saw the band live. Robert Randolph guested on Bayou the first night I saw DMB and that just blew my mind. So, I will always love most of the songs from the Stand Up album.  They will always remind me of when DMB moved into the top five of my all-time favorite bands.  

The best part about being in the pit was the opportunity to get a drumstick from Carter Beauford. I’ve had opportunities to get a drumstick before and I’ve come extremely close once, at that same venue. The stick went off my fingertips and flipped behind me. SO CLOSE! With that in mind, I told my daughter that if she got a stick from Carter it was mine. I had come too close to let her get one on her first night. Unfortunately, Carter did not take the usual time to toss sticks into the audience. Not at the end of the main set and not after the encore. What the heck, Carter? I had informed my daughter what a big part of the show experience it was going to be and you tossed nothing! What a let down!  

As for my daughter, I had never seen her so happy in her entire life. The joy that overwhelmed her with infectious. She was so enthralled and she could not stop talking about what an amazing time she was having. She told me repeatedly that she had no idea the band was this good in concert. That made me made me laugh. I had only been telling for the last ten years she should think about attending a show with me. In her wise wisdom though she pointed out that she may not have been mature enough in her musical tastes to enjoy the band until now. Out of the mouths of babes… I was ecstatic by her happiness and so glad that we had gotten to see this show together. And now I have a permanent partner to attend all future shows with. She’s already told me that she can’t wait to see the band again and asked if we can do multiple shows next time. As long as they tour in 2019, my dear daughter, yes, we can.  

SETLIST
That Girl Is You
One Sweet World
Granny
Crush
Samarai Cop
Stay Or Leave
What Would You Say
Can’t Stop
Jimi Thing
Captain
Warehouse
Black and Blue Bird
The Song That jane Likes
Lying in the Hands of God
Funny The Way It Is
Come Tomorrow
Stand Up
Louisiana Bayou
ENCORE
The Space Between
Tripping Billies

No comments: