Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Valentine's Day Edition

Romance is in the air this weekend as Valentine’s Day is upon us. My wife and I plan to make each other dinner, watch a couple of movies, and just spend the day/night relaxing and enjoying each other’s company. It’s a rare treat when we get an entire day to spend with each other and we like to make the most of it. And while we were planning our romantic dinner, here’s what happened in the world of music this week:

The merge is official. Ticketmaster and LiveNation announced their official merger this week. Personally I think that means really bad news for the consumer, but great news for scalpers. There has to be a way to ensure that the fans are the ones getting tickets at face value. Anyone who could invent that would get rich in their own right.
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/02/10/live-nation-and-ticketmaster-announce-merger-agreement/

It’s sad to see some off my favorite music magazines go under. I remember reading both of these incessantly during my teenage years. Just hearing the names alone brings back sweet, sweet memories. Rest in peace, Metal Edge and Metal Maniacs. You will be missed.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=113684

SiriusXM is filing for bankruptcy and that’s a shame. While service should not be interrupted for now, we all know that filing Chapter 11 is never a good sign.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/technology/companies/11radio.html?_r=2&ref=business

And there is some good news to report. As seen on the Grammys this past Sunday, Blink182 is back. I am anxious to hear new music from the guys and I’m curious to see if they tour with a festival or if they go out on their own. We’ll find out this summer.
http://www.blink182.com/

And in case anyone is interested, the remake of Friday the 13th is out in theaters today. I’m not sure if I’ll be seeing it, because I worry about tarnishing my memory of the original. If anyone does go, please let me know how it is.

No comments: