Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Cool Book Edition

This week, I was able to take a couple of days off from work and give myself a much deserved long weekend to rest from attending a couple of live concerts. Hey, I’m old, what can I say? The body does not snap back the way it did in my 20s. After Theory of a Deadman on Sunday night and Motley Crue (w/ Theory and Hinder) on Monday night, I had Tuesday all to myself. No wife, no kids, and the cats were sleeping. I decided to pick up a book that I’ve been wanting to read for the past month, but hadn’t found the right time to start it.

The Mystic Art of Erasing All signs of Death, the latest from the insanely talented Charlie Huston, was the book I grabbed. I have a history with Mr. Huston’s books. Upon opening them, they usually control every fiber of my being and consume all my thoughts until I’ve finished the read. You can see why I waited for a day off to read this one. Mystic Arts started at 12:30 pm, finished at 9:00 pm. I had to take an hour break to make dinner and another hour break for SportsCenter. Other than that, I read the book straight through. Once again, Charlie did not disappoint. If you get a chance, get the book. Just be sure to have a free day. You won’t be doing anything else once you start reading. And be sure to visit Charlie’s website here:
http://www.pulpnoir.com/

And while I was consumed with the latest from Charlie Huston, here’s what happened in the world of rock and roll:

VH1 is reviving behind the music. I cannot even begin to tell you how ecstatic I am about this! I was glued to my television every Sunday night when a new episode would appear. I’ve always wondered why they never released this show on DVD. Perhaps now there’s a chance for that.
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/lil-wayne-scott-weiland-on-board-for-vh1-1003953340.story

Live Nation is screwing us again. Now they are trying to hide parking fees into a facility that never charged for parking in the past. What will they come up with next? A pay-per-use water fountain? A dollar a person to use the bathroom? When the hell is this going to end?
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2009/03/18/2009-03-18_promoter_drops_6_fee_parks_it_in_price-1.html

Motley Crue announced the lineup for CrueFest 2 this past Monday. While the concert I attended was awesome, this lineup for CrueFest 2 sucks. Sorry, I call them like I see them. However, it’s nice to see that Theory is still on the bill. Check it out here:
http://cruefest2.ning.com/

And finally, there’s this nice tidbit. I can’t believe that Flavor Flav is 50. I remember when I first discovered this band (after they released Nation of Millions). I may be sentimental, or I may just be getting old, but I miss the good old days of cruising around in my beat up pick up jamming to Public Enemy.
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/03/16/public-enemy-perform-full-it-takes-a-nation-of-millions-at-flavor-flavs-birthday-bash/

No comments: