Monday, March 30, 2009

When Did You Start Your Music Collection?

This week we're talking about music collections, specifically how collections get started. I'm interested in learning about what got you hooked on music and what drives you to continue building your collection. Feel free to comment along the way about your addiction with music and album collecting.

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one insanely into music. I presume that’s why most of you come to this blog – to share a love and passion for music. I’ve been into music for as long as I can remember, beginning with choosing Bob Seger’s Night Moves over watching Sesame Street at the tender age of 3.

Through the years, I’ve amassed a rather large music collection. Between CDs, cassette tapes, and vinyl records, I own over 3000 full length albums. That’s a lot of music, and I still try to listen to most of it on a regular basis. Where did this obsession begin?

I started collecting music when I was eight years old. Before then, I was taping songs off the radio, but I never owned an actual record, tape, or 8-track (CDs were a long way from being invented). The first record I ever bought was Kiss’ Destroyer at a yard sale for a quarter. I played that record relentlessly on my Hardy Boys record player. The album just about warped from overplay, but that was all it took. I was hooked – for life.

The creepiness of Destroyer kept me coming back for more and more. This was 9 amazing songs by the same band, and I played it constantly, slowly drifting away from the "singles" on the radio, to the appreciation of an entire album.


Tomorrow: Getting Serious About Collecting

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

3 comments:

g said...

i'd have to say it all started with either Paul McCartney - London Town, or Eric Clapton - Slowhand. I bought both albums in the 5 grade. Funny thing, I have London Town on my iPod.

Ryo Vie said...

Slowhand is a very good introduction to albums. Was it on vinyl or cassette?

g said...

vinyl. still have both albums.