Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When Did You Start Your Music Collection? Part Two

This week we're talking about music collections, specifically how collections get started. I'm interested in learning about what got you hooked on music and what drives you to continue building your collection. Feel free to comment along the way about your addiction with music and album collecting.



Yesterday, we discussed how my love and passion for music got started and how the first record I ever bought was Kiss’ Destroyer.

My serious music collecting began when I was eleven. I received Twisted Sister’s Stay Hungry as a gift from my aunt and it was pure heaven to my ears. We’re Not Gonna Take It was my pre-teenage, puberty onset, angry mantra, and I blared it a lot on my little one speaker boom box. I Wanna Rock was another tune that got a lot of air time in my bedroom.

Shortly after that, Starship’s Knee Deep In The Hoopla found its way into my collection (again via Christmas present). Now I had two current releases on cassette. My collection was off and running! During the first couple of years, of course, it took time for my collection to grow, as I learned to get records and tapes from friends either in swap deals or on loan. I bought Shout At The Devil off a friend for a couple of bucks. A lot of Kiss records were borrowed as I began to understand their sound and style beyond Destroyer.

By the time I was thirteen, I was buying music on a regular basis and my tastes in tunes had grown to larger proportions. I discovered music by mail and joined a record club. It was unbelievable when twelve cassettes were mailed to my house in one shot! I never received that many recordings at one time. It was a music lover’s dream!

Tomorrow: Amassing an enormous collection

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

No comments: