Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Halloween II - Do You Care?


Rob Zombie’s, Halloween II comes out this Friday (August 28th), and your cousin Ryo wants to know if anyone is interested in this film. Does anyone care that this is coming to a theater near you?

As a fan of the horror genre, I grew up inhaling the Halloween movies in my teenage years (yes, I even enjoyed the later movies and thought that the dreaded Halloween III wasn’t that bad). So when I heard that Rob Zombie was doing a remake of the original Halloween a couple of years ago, I was against seeing it. I was appalled that someone would have the balls to even consider touching this brilliant horror classic and remaking it in their own image.

But then I watched House of 1000 Corpses (Zombie’s earlier horror classic) again, and I said to myself, “How bad could the remake be?” Finally, a year after it was released in theaters, I rented the film, sat down in my darkened basement, and watched. I was amazed at what a great job Zombie did. Delving into the childhood of Michael Myers and giving an inside look at what turned him into the deranged, lunatic killer that he became was an excellent treat.

Zombie, of course, put his own signature style on the remake of Halloween, complete with extra gore, disturbing scenes and images of human emotions, capturing the essence of the disgusting lengths that a deranged human mind can go to. The movie disturbed me (for quite a few days after I watched it) and it made me realize that Zombie really is a horror filmmaking genius.

The ending of Zombie’s first Halloween was so brilliant and so deeply moving that I believed him whole heartedly when he said that he would not be making a sequel. With the end of the first movie, it would be hard to make a sequel. Not impossible, mind you, but certainly difficult.

Well, Rob got suckered into doing the sequel, when he learned that the movie studio was moving forward with or without him. There was even a script written that the studio scrapped when Zombie came on board and delivered his own. Now, here we are, on the cusp of the release of Halloween II, and I’m left wondering, how will this sequel fair?

There are a lot of questions to address immediately. How is Michael Myers still alive? How is Dr. Loomis still alive? How is Sharon Moon Zombie in this film when her character died in the last one? I’m sure all of these questions will be addressed right away, and I admit that I am looking forward to this sequel. I will be there on opening weekend, taking it all in, and deciding for myself if it was worth the price of admission.

What about you? Are you looking forward to this movie? Do you even care that Rob Zombie makes some kick ass horror films, or do you think that he should just stick to making the music?

Comments are open. Feel free to post some.

2 comments:

They keep calling me said...

House of 1000 Corpses messed me up for a week! Dr. Satin is one sick dude. I really enjoyed that movie. The 2nd one, the devils rejects wasn't as good IMO. I too wasn't that big on seeing Halloween the RZ remake. But I rented it on DVD and loved it. RZ did a great job with the remake. I'm looking forward to seeing this next film too. But I'll likely wait until it comes to DVD.

Dave

Ryo Vie said...

My favorite part of The Devil's Rejects is when the victims are dressed up in Pink Bunny Rabbit costumes. That was an amazing scene! It looks like I'll be seeing H2 at the theater this weekend, so expect a review in the near future.