Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - Fantastic Four Edition


I’ve been revisiting my long lost collection of Fantastic Four comics lately. It’s been a long time since these were read, but while doing some cleaning a few weeks ago, I decided to pull out my comics, organize them, and store them away again. When I started flipping through my collection, I got very nostalgic. Before I became such a heavy music collector, comic books were a huge part of my life. I spent years building my Fantastic Four collection. I collected others (most notably Spider-Man), but for some reason the FF were always my favorite. I decided to start re-reading my entire FF collection from start to finish. It’s been a lot of fun. Some of the stories were amazing, the artwork was always great, and now that I’m older, I actually look up the writers online to see what else they’ve worked on. There’s nothing like a little visit down memory lane with old (fictional) friends when time permits. Anyone else out there collect (or used to collect) comics? Can anyone update me on the FF now? I stopped collecting in 1997 due to the amount of money I was spending every week. Perhaps I should go catch up with the current adventures of the Fantastic ones. Hmmm….

And while I was being fascinated by the war cry of “It’s Clobbering Time!!!” here’s what rocked this week:

Hard Rock Hideout Radio
It’s coming, and it’s coming very soon by what I’m told. Hard Rock Hideout, one of the best rock and metal sites on the web will be launching Hard Rock Hideout radio. Sources tell me that it will be launched sometime this month. I’m hopeful that’s true, because I can’t wait to listen. I’ll pass more info along as I get it, but in the meantime, you can always visit http://www.hardrockhideout.com/ for more details.

Springsteen Talks Tour’s End
Bruce sat down with Billboard magazine to discuss plans after the current tour. Apparently, the band isn’t heading into retirement (yet), so that’s good news. I’m hopeful that during the time off, Springsteen will put together a Tracks II set of unreleased material. That would be excellent. http://www.billboard.com/#/features/bruce-springsteen-the-billboard-cover-q-1004049585.story?page=1

George Lynch and Don Dokken Perform Together
This is just another reason why I love Bring Back Glam! so much. Who else would dig this up for us? Yes, George Lynch and Don Dokken actually appeared on stage together. That’s as surprising to me as it to you.
http://www.bringbackglam.com/journal/2009/11/30/it-happened-don-dokken-and-george-lynch-perform-together.html

Rocklahoma 2010 Dates Announced
Make your reservations now. Memorial Day weekend, 2010. Hair metal meets modern metal. Personally, I’m waiting until the full line up is announced before I make any reservations.
http://www.rocklahoma.com/

The Music Elitist
Have you visited this site lately? If not, you probably should. After months of infrequent activity, The Elitist has added additional writers and the blog is updated with some regularity now. While I prefer the Elitist’s posts, one new staff writer (talker) is starting to grow on me. And at least there are frequent entries now. Check it out http://www.themusicelitist.com/.

Musical Watersheds
This is a great post over at Muzzle Of Bees that traces the roots of personal music appreciation. Discussing and making you consider where and how a certain album or band changed your life or really made you think. You’ll note Wilco’s influence, not only in my comment but in several of the comments.
http://www.muzzleofbees.com/2009/12/02/golden-moments-shifting-tastes-musical-watersheds

No comments: