Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - LOST Finale Edition

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fan of the ABC show, LOST. I’ve been a watcher since day one and was a fanatic by the fourth episode. I have come back for every episode since. I own the first five seasons on DVD and when this final season comes out, I will own that too.

Sunday night (May 23rd), ABC will air the final episode of the show. For six years I have followed every action these characters have made. I’ve spent endless hours discussing, debating, analyzing, theorizing, and trying to figure out what’s going to happen next. Some of the plots I nailed, but most of them I was off on (way off in some cases). Whether I was right or wrong didn’t matter. What mattered was the fact that I spent so much time theorizing and analyzing a television show. It was pure enjoyment, and it maximized the entertainment value.

I’m going to watch the final episode with mixed feelings. I know that I will watch it again (I’ve seen ever episode of this show at least three times, most of them more than that), but you can only see it for the first time once. This season hasn’t been the best for LOST. That could be due to the fact that it’s the end, but it could also be the direction the show is moving in. However, every finale has been mind-blowing fantastic entertainment, and I expect that this one will be no different. ABC will also be airing a 2-hour special prior to the season finale, giving me 4.5 hours of LOST. Add in a Jimmy Kimmel LOST special following the season finale and you get 5.5 hours of LOST finale. Monday is going to be a wee bit rough for your cousin Ryo.

And while I was contemplating how this show is going to end, here’s what rocked this week:

Dave Matthews Band Not Touring For 2011
After touring consecutively for 20 years in a row (is that a record?), DMB will take a much needed break from the road in 2011. This summer’s tour will be the last time we see the band live until 2012. Personally, I think it’s great that they’re taking a break, as long as it’s just that… a break. No permanent hiatus, please. This summer’s tour dates are included in the link.

Axl Rose Battling Irving Azoff
A lot of talk, talk, talk. I don’t know who to believe here. Axl is notorious for misremembering the truth and Irving Azoff is a greedy corporate pig. Just shut up and tour the US already. Or go back in the studio and record Chinese Democracy II so we can have it by Christmas…2021.

Bret Michael’s Reality Star…?
Allyson over at Bring Back Glam! wants to know why Bret Michaels needs to do a reality show. I think it’s because he craves relevance. His band, Poison, is not putting out any new material, and as much as the fans love him, his solo material is not going to sell like gangbusters. Bret needs to feel important and worshipped – VH1 TV gives him that. The same way Family Jewels gives it to Gene Simmons and The Osbournes gave it to Ozzy.

Rest In Peace – Ronnie James Dio
We close on a sad note. As I am sure most of you know, Ronnie James Dio passed away from stomach cancer last weekend. His music, his message, and his metal will be missed.

For more metal horns, updated news, concert reviews, and partying like an 80s glam child, you should follow me on Twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: