Thursday, February 17, 2011

The 2011 Grammy Awards - The Good, The Bad, And The Oh So Ugly!

Another year of Grammy hype, awards, and performances has come and gone. As usual, there were moments that surprised me, points that disappointed me, and times that had me scratching my head saying “What the…?” Here’s my recap of one of the best nights in music.

Grammy – The Good
Iron Maiden wins a Grammy for El Dorado. That’s very good. Arcade Fire won Album of the Year. That was excellent. Muse’s live performance was magnificent. Rhianna sounded fantastic. She is highly talented and her voice was spot on for her duet with Eminem.

Lady Gaga’s performance of her new song, Born This Way, was decent. I know she’s an odd bird kooky-kat and all that, but she is talented. And while her new song sounds like it rips off Maddona’s Express Yourself, it was still a catchy tune.

David Letterman’s Top 10 for the Grammys was hysterical. I’ve always thought he is a highly entertaining and talented man.

The biggest surprise of the night for me was Cee Lo Green’s performance with Gwyneth Paltrow of Forget You. It was entertaining, over the top, unexpected, and let’s face it, it’s a really good song. This was the Grammy moment of the evening.

CEE LO GREEN PERFORMS FORGET YOU


Grammy – The Bad
Justin Bieber with Usher was just awful. I didn’t even know what was going on during that performance. I know I’m not a big fan of the Bieb to begin with, but that performance was just terrible. Katy Perry was another waste of time. I still don’t understand why people think she’s talented.

Overall, the Grammys lacked some punch this year. I just didn’t find myself excited for most of the awards or performances. That’s not to say they weren’t good, but I just wasn’t anxiously awaiting anything. Last year, I couldn’t wait to see Dave Matthews Band, or Bon Jovi, but this year, everything was so Vanilla. Nothing stood out (except for Cee Lo Green) and nothing was so outlandish that it shocked. Has Grammy gone flat, or have we as a music fan society just become numb to it all?

Grammy – The Oh So Ugly
The opening tribute was horrid. I know we want to pay our respects to the queen of soul, but perhaps Grammy could have searched for a little more talent. First off, Christina Aguilera couldn’t even remember the words to the National Anthem, and now she’s going to sing one of Aretha’s songs? The others were just not talented. Don’t get me wrong, they have talent in their own right, but none of those five performers (Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, Yolanda Adams, Florence Welch, and the aforementioned Aguilera) have the talent to touch an Aretha song. It was just a train wreck, and an ugly way to open the Grammy awards.

And what was up with Lenny Kravitz? I am a huge fan of the man. I love Kravitz’s music and think he is an incredible artist, but what the heck was he wearing when he introduced Muse?

MUSE PERFORMS UPRISING

Muse - Uprising: 2011 Grammy's
Uploaded by Viperous_Fox. - Explore more music videos.

And so another year of The Grammy Awards has come and gone. I’m already looking forward to next year’s show, hoping that it will be better and trying to figure out which group will get nominated for Album of the Year. What about you? Interested in the Grammys, or couldn’t care less? Comments are open, feel free to post some.

No comments: