Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - The Tax Man Cometh Edition

This past week, I went and gathered all of our W2s, donation receipts, and everything else that needed to file taxes. I spent a couple of hours going through the forms and filling out all the paperwork. I did the math, double checked the math, and then did it one more time. What was the net after all that hard work and careful calculations? We need to pay more.

Here at the Vie household, we owe the government money! How is that freaking possible? Apparently the US government thinks I’m rich. Last time I checked, I was far from rich (very, very far as a matter of fact). I don’t understand how all of my friends file and get money back, while I continue to owe. Do they know some secret code that I am not aware of?

Rather than take my penance and just send a check off to Uncle Sam, I am going to give the taxes one last try---with a professional. Next week, I will be visiting a professional accountant and begging him to show me what I’ve done wrong. If I still owe money after that, well, there’s not much I can do except complain and begrudgingly send the government more of my money. Hopefully, that won’t happen. Hopefully, the tax professional we meet with will be able to find several deductions that I (and Turbo Tax) have missed. Hopefully, he/she will be worth their fee.

Here’s what rocked this week:

Former Alice In Chains Bassist, Mike Starr, Has Passed Away
As most of you probably know, the world lost another great musician this week. It’s a shame to see so many rock stars dying from drug overdoses. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mike Starr’s friends and family during this difficult time.

Sammy Hagar’s Autobiography, “Red,” In Stores This Tuesday
The Red Rocker has set his memoirs to paper and this Tuesday (March 15th) fans will finally get to read about Sammy Hagar’s life from the man himself. He recently sat down to do an interview with Rolling Stone magazine and had a lot to say. Van Halen News Desk was good enough to capture excerpts from the interview and post them for all to enjoy. This is a nice appetizer before the main course comes out next week.

AC/DC To Release A Live DVD In May
There was some great news out of the AC/DC camp this week. The band is set to release a live DVD from their Black Ice world tour. The DVD, titled, Live At River Plate will be available in May and documents a wild night live in Buenos Aires. Cousin Ryo can’t wait to check this one out.

1000 Number One Songs
Over at Billboard.com, they are celebrating their 1000th number one song in style. A list of every number one song, the date it reached number one, and the amount of weeks spent at the top of the charts are all included. They’ve also included a video of every single song. You could lose hours of your life perusing this post. This is definitely worth a visit, especially for the music historians.

For more news, reviews, shout outs, rants, complaints, and sing-alongs, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: