Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - The Best Of The Guru 2011 Edition

Welcome July! We’ve reached another halfway point in the year and it’s a perfect time to reflect on what the Guru has done right thus far in 2011. This edition of Friday’s Rockin’ Roundup consists of nothing but links to the best of The Rock And Roll Guru circa 2011 (so far).

As always, if you have any ideas, desires, or ways that you think would improve the website, please drop me a line and let me know. RyoVie@gmail.com Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated.

Have a happy Fourth of July Weekend!

Here’s what rocked in the first half of 2011:

Remembering Behind The Music
I still miss this show. And I still wonder why they haven’t put it out on DVD yet. I would have to believe that it would be a huge seller.

Will There Ever Be Another Rolling Stones?
In a short, one word answer---no. They are one of the greatest rock bands ever, and they are still going strong. I can’t wait to see their 50th reunion tour.

My First Record Club
I still get goosebumps when I think about the first time I joined a record club. Columbia House and BMG were certainly responsible for helping me build a healthy portion of my music collection. Unfortunately, they were also responsible for taking a lot of my money. I guess in the end, it was worth it.

Lower Your Prices, Dummies!
Man, concert promoters can be so dumb. Do you know why no one is attending concerts like they used to? Because no one can afford them! $250 for decent seats? Over $100 for crap seats. Yeah, I am real shocked that no one is going to big concerts!

The Price Of A Concert: Breaking Down Where The Money Goes
On the other side of the argument, it does take a lot of money to put on a spectacular show. In this post, I break down where all of the money goes, who gets what, and how much really goes to the performers.

The Gaslight Anthem
This is one of my favorite new bands that I discovered this year. My only regret is that I did not discover them sooner. The Gaslight Anthem is what the future of rock music is all about.

Time For A Change
And so I began my journey on the Every Album Challenge. This is the story of how it all came together and a prediction of how long it will take to see it through to the end.

Pretty Boy Floyd
They came to M3. They kicked off the second stage. They rocked the hell out of it! I hope that next year, they are invited to perform on the main stage. Pretty Boy Floyd was freaking fantastic!

Sebastian Bach
The biggest surprise at this year’s M3 was hands down, Sebastian Bach. I was expecting a horrendous performance. What I got instead was a blast of metal right in my face. This performer made me a believer and threw me up high on the Bach bandwagon.

For more reviews, news, rants, raves, updates, and odd shout outs, you should follow me on twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: