Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday's Rockin' Roundup - M3 Festival Edition

Today, your Cousin Ryo is on a road trip to Columbia, Maryland. I’m heading there to attend this year’s M3 Festival. Hard Rock Hideout’s (http://www.hardrockhideout.com/) Rob Rockitt and Stone from Metal Odyssey (http://www.meralodyssey.wordpress.com/) will be there with me. I hope to be able to catch up with Bring Back Glam’s (http://www.bringbackglam.com/) Allyson as well. We are all attending due to our love of hard rock and hair metal.

The acts on this year’s bill are incredible and include some bands I’ve never seen before. Trixter, Nelson, Jetboy, and Kix are all performing and they are all bands that I have never seen in concert before. Also, the show’s headliners, The Scorpions – I’ve never seen them live either. Other acts (that I have seen) include LA Guns, Cinderella, Warrant, Winger, and Vince Neil. I am really looking forward to Winger’s set. I LOVE their new album (Karma) and I hope they play more than one song from it. I know their set time is limited (45 minutes), but they owe it to themselves and their fans to play the new songs.

Going to M3? Look for me. I’ll be there handing out business cards to anyone that is interested. I wish I had Guru T-Shirts. That would be cool. I guess that’s something to consider for next year! Expect a full report of M3 not only here, but at the other great rock, glam, and metal sites (mentioned above) as well. M3 is bound to be an incredible day of fun for all. I hope to see you there!

And while I was packing a bag, checking my stash of Aqua Net, and debating on which dew rag to wear, here’s what rocked this week:

Midas and SPIN Present Rock The Highway
Appreciating how summer travel, music festivals, and great music go hand in hand, Midas and SPIN have partnered up this summer to present the Rock the Highway contest where musicians can submit an original song that they think could be the next great road song (accepted in either fully produced or acoustic versions). Midas will pick the best of the bunch and put them up for a fan vote. Six bands will win a share of $17,000 in cash prizes PLUS appear in an ad in SPIN Magazine. For those who don’t want to submit content, Rock the Highway also includes a sweepstakes where music fans can vote for their favorite road songs of all time and enter to win prizes including VIP passes to select summer music festivals, navigation systems, satellite radio systems, gas cards and more. This is definitely worth checking out.

New Band – Awesome Song
Well, the band is new to me, anyway. Check out Hacienda’s Younger Days. What a cool song!



Guitar Legend Les Paul Has A Website Launched In His Honor
Want to know more about the late, great, Les Paul? Want to learn how to donate to charities that he believed in, or find out how you can help in other ways? Check out this website. It’s a great way to remember Les, and pay tribute to his legend.

Set Times For M3
And finally, if you are attending M3, the set times are included at this link. I will be there at high noon for Jetboy and I will be one of the few leaving Vince Neil’s set early so that I can see all of Nelson. That’s right, I said it and I meant it.

Have a great Friday! For more updates, hair metal soliloquies, news, reviews, and other fun things, you should follow me on Twitter. www.twitter.com/ryovie

No comments: