Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Triple Threat of Buckcherry, Three Days Grace, and Nickleback

This is a guest post from Metal Eddie. Previously the metal one posted about Sully Erna’s solo CD.


We were hanging on to the last days of summer getting pumped to see a killer show of Buckcherry, Three Days Grace and Nickelback. I planned to leave work early so I could pick up my son and bring him to my In-Laws for a few hours till my wife got out of work. I went to get my buddy, Jay, in Rochelle Park and then we were headed to the local gin mill until his friend Mike and Mike’s girlfriend got out of work.

While hanging out of the bar drinking a few beers we ordered Irish Nachos. What are Irish Nachos you say? They are your standard Nachos with the addition of potatoes and they rock! So, the beer was flowing and time was ticking away. The bar was in Maywood, New Jersey and we needed to get to Newark, NJ, which is a decent ride away. We met up with Mike and headed out to the Prudential Center. The ticket read that the doors open at 6:15 and we estimated getting there around 6:45 thinking that the show would start at seven.

We found parking right by the building at 6:40 which left us thirty dollars lighter, but we were off. Here comes the fun! Immediately, we noticed a long line to get in. We heard security yelling to put all chains away, get the keys and cell phones out, guys on the right ladies on the left. I was thinking “What the hell? Where are the good old days of one line in a fast pat down and that’s it?”

As we made our way up the escalator to the first level I heard Buckcherry performing. I turned to Jay and said that there was no way they were on already. It was 6:45 as we made our way to the seats. Buckcherry were finishing “Lit Up”. We were all kind of puzzled about what was going on. Why were we hearing “Lit Up” at 6:45. I’ll tell you why. It’s because Buckcherry came on at 6:15 when the doors opened. How sad is that boys and girls? We missed most of the set list, but we did catch four songs from them.

The stage was a regular stage with a long runway attached to it and a space for bands to rock out at the end of it. For some reason, Buckcherry nor Three Days Grace took advantage of this space. Could it be that they were not allowed to use it?

Here is the set list for Buckcherry who went on first to my surprise:

Talk to Me
Rescue Me
All Night Long
Everything
Next 2 You
Lit Up
These Things
It's a Party
Dead
Sorry
Crazy Bitch

I have to say that Buckcherry were weak at best. They looked burnt out and tired with no energy at all. Is it that they are tired of being a supporting band? Why aren’t they a headline act? Things better change or I think they will lose a huge following.

On to a band that I love and have never seen before – Three Days Grace I don’t really hear much about this band and it’s a shame. They too were not going up and down the cat walk. Why? But they gave one hell of a show for a four piece band. Every song was rocking! They kicked it off with “I Hate Everything About You”. The crowd went nuts singing along to every note. The energy picked up from the lack of showmanship from Buckcherry.

Lead singer Adam Gontier’s voice was on key without any flaws. It was very impressive as was the band. It was like listing to one of their CDs. Adam worked the crowd like a pro. He reminded me of Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden. He was running all over the stage singing his heart out. I hope that these guys hit it big someday and headline their own tour, they deserve it. My only regret is that they didn’t play longer. Here is their setlist:

I Hate Everything About You
Break
The Good Life
World So Cold
Pain
Home
Last To Know
Never Too Late
Riot
Animal I Have Become

Now up to that point I was telling everyone that I didn’t care if I saw Nickelback or not. I saw them open for Bon Jovi a few years back and they were good. I have to admit that I was wrong for having that kind of attitude toward Nickelback. They rocked the house down with a solid sound and strong setlist. The boys were joking with the crowd having a few beers and paying homage to some of their rock heroes such as Journey and Bon Jovi. They also strummed along to Garth Brooks. You can find the setlist below. Like I said they are a great band but there is something about them that I just can’t put my finger on.

Nickelback’s Setlist:
Burn It to the Ground
Flat On The Floor
Photograph
Savin' Me
Shakin' Hands
Something in Your Mouth
This Afternoon
Friends In Low Places (Garth Brooks cover)
If Today Was Your Last Day
Don't Stop Believing (Journey cover)
Rockstar
Animals
How You Remind Me
Too Bad
Encore:
Gotta Be Somebody
Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi cover)
Someday
Figured You Out

Ryo’s Note: I wonder if Nickelback performed Wanted Dead or Alive in honor of playing in Bon Jovi’s home state. What I can’t believe is that Buckcherry went on first and that they started right at 6:15. That last part is most shocking to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a concert start at the exact time listed on the ticket – not even an opening act. What a surprise that must have been for everyone!

No comments: